Canadian heavyweight Tanner (the Bulldozer) Boser fights short term in UFC

0


Alberta heavyweight Tanner (The Bulldozer) Boser steps in on short notice to take on Ovince Saint Preux in the main UFC Fight Night card co-event on June 26 in Las Vegas.

Saint Preux (25-15-0) was to face Maxim Grishin during the same broadcast. But the Russian is unable to compete due to visa issues, according to the UFC.

Saint Preux agreed to switch to heavyweight to face Boser (19-8-1) who had asked for a quick return to action after a June 5 loss to Sweden’s Ilir (The Sledgehammer) Latifi.

Saint Preux, 38, who just lost in December to lightweight Jamahal (Sweet Dreams) Hill, fought as a heavyweight in May 2020 when, after weighing 240.5 pounds, he lost a decision shared against Ben Rothwell.

Saint Preux, a former University of Tennessee football player, has missed the 206-pound light and heavyweight no-title limit in the past.

He made his UFC debut in April 2013 at UFC 159 and is 13-10-0 in the promotion. He fought for the interim lightweight championship in April 2016, losing to Jon (Bones) Jones at UFC 197.

Boser weighed 242 pounds for Latifi.

The main event at the UFC Apex production site will see Frenchman Cyril (Bon Gamin) Gane, ranked third among heavyweight contenders, take on No.5 Alexander (Drago) Volkov of Russia.

Boser, a 29-year-old player from Bonnyville, Alta., Who now lives in Edmonton, has just suffered two dizzying losses.

On June 5, he was on the wrong side of a split 28-29, 29-27, 28-29 with two of the three judges ruling for Latifi despite Boser having a 45-10 advantage in important hitting, according to UFC statistics. Latifi made takedowns in the first and third rounds, compiling six minutes 38 seconds of control time (compared to 42 seconds for Boser) but did little damage to the ground.

When the decision was announced, Boser cursed and turned away in disgust.

After the fight, Tanner posted a post on social media asking for a fight in July. “I am not injured and I am pissed off,” he wrote.

“I meant what I said. The earliest would be best. I’m ready to go, ”he wrote in a new post on Wednesday.

Boser saw his two-game winning streak shattered against former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei (The Pit Bull) Arlovski in November. Boser made 68 of 119 important strike attempts while Arlovski made 34 of 82 attempts. But Arlovski showed more power.

While the three judges scored the fight 29-28 for Arlovski, each gave Boser a different round.

Boser later blamed himself, saying he had been too complacent. He said he believed he was ahead on the scoreboards and that Arlovski should come his way, giving him a chance to punish the former champion if he made a mistake.

Boser, who is 3-3-0 in the UFC, is no stranger to short-term assignments.

In 2019, he beat Daniel Spitz on October 18 and lost to Gane on December 21. And last year, he picked up victories against Philipe (Monstro) Lins and Raphael (Bebezoa) Pessoa on June 27 and July 25, respectively.

Loading…

Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…Loading…

Follow @NeilMDavidson on Twitter

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on June 17, 2021

JOIN THE CONVERSATION

Conversations are opinions of our readers and are subject to Code of conduct. The Star does not endorse these opinions.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.