UFC 277: Championship rematches headline UFC returns to Dallas in July
The main event of UFC 277 will see Julianna Pena attempt her first successful title defense against former titleholder and current women’s featherweight champion Amanda Nunes.
Pena (12-4, fighter from Chicago, Illinois via Spokane, Washington) is coming off one of the most dramatic wins in MMA history, when she dethroned Nunes via submission late last year .
The first woman to win The Ultimate Fighter, she also had notable victories over Sara McMann, Nicco Montano and Cat Zingano. Pena now hopes to finish Nunes a second time and continue to build her legacy at the top of the women’s bantamweight division.
The greatest female fighter in combat sports history, Nunes (21-5, fighter from Coral Springs, Florida to Bahia, Brazil) intends to remind fans why she went undefeated for more than six year.
The only two-time UFC women’s champion, she holds thrilling victories over Ronda Rousey, Cris Cyborg and Holly Holm. Nunes now plans to avenge his loss to Pena by delivering another show stealing performance to reclaim the belt.
The co-main event will feature the crowning of an interim flyweight champion when former titleholder Brandon Moreno brings him back with Kai Kara-France.
Moreno (19-6-2, fighting out of Tijuana, Mexico) is determined to take out Kara-France and secure a fourth meeting with current champion Deiveson Figueiredo.
Throughout his UFC run, the former titleholder also had impressive wins over Bradon Royval, Jussier Formiga and Louis Smolka. Moreno is now looking to secure the interim flyweight championship by defeating Kara-France once again.
Kara-France (24-9 1NC, fighter out of Auckland, New Zealand) expects to make the most of his first UFC title opportunity.
Currently on an impressive three-fight winning streak, he has picked up memorable victories over Askar Askarov, Cody Garbrandt and Rogerio Bontorin. Kara-France now plans to even the score with Moreno and bring another UFC championship to New Zealand.
Additional fights on the map include:
• Derrick Lewis (26-9 1NC, fighting in Houston, Texas) and No. 11 Sergei Pavlovich (15-1, fighting in Moscow, Russia) are Texas heavyweights and ranked No. 5 Derrick Lewis.
• Magomed Ankalaev (17-1, fighter from Makhachkala, Russia) takes on No. 5 Anthony Smith (36-16, fighter from Omaha, Neb.) in a fight with title implications.
• Drew Dober (24-11 1NC, fighter from Denver, Colorado via Omaha, Neb.) takes on Rafael Alves (20-10, fighter from Miami, Fla. via Para, Brazil) in an exciting lightweight matchup.
• Ramiz Brahimaj (10-4, fighter from Dallas, TX via Bronx, NY) takes on Michael Morales (13-0, fighter from Tijuana, Mexico) at welterweight.
• Nicolae Negumereanu (12-1, fighting in Brasov, Romania) takes on Ihor Potieria (20-2, fighting in kyiv, Ukraine) at light heavyweight.
• Justin Tafa (5-3, fighter from Brisbane, Australia) meets Don’Tale Mayes (9-4, fighter from Louisville, Ken.) in a hard-hitting heavyweight bout.
• Diego Ferreira (17-5, fighter from Pharr, Texas via Careiro da Várzea, Amazonas, Brazil), number 15 lightweight, is looking to defend his place in the rankings against Drakkar Klose (12-2-1, fighter from Glendale , Arizona to South Haven, Michigan).
• Ji Yeon Kim (9-5-2, fighting in Incheon, South Korea) takes on Mariya Agapova (10-3, fighting in Pavlodar, Kazakhstan) in a flyweight bout.
Ticket and Stream Information
UFC 277: Pena vs. Nunes 2 takes place Saturday, July 30 at American Airlines Center in Dallas with the main card at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT on ESPN+ PPV.
The prelims will be seen on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+ at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT with the night’s action starting at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT with Early Prelims on ESPN+ (English and Spanish) and UFC Fight Pass.
Tickets for UFC 277: Pena vs. Nunes 2 goes on sale Friday, June 3 at 10:00 a.m. CT and is available for purchase at ticketmaster.com. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person.
UFC Fight Club members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets on Wednesday, June 1 at 10:00 a.m. CT through the ufcfightclub.com website.
A special online ticket presale will be available to UFC newsletter subscribers on Thursday, June 2 starting at 10:00 a.m. CT. To access this presale, users must sign up for the UFC newsletter through UFC.com.
Source: press release
Receive news alerts.