White: Ngannou-Lewis likely for August, Miocic could face the winner
UFC President Dana White has revealed a schedule for the targeted heavyweight title fight between champion Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis.
White said on Saturday the game would likely take place in mid-August or the end of August, reaffirming Lewis would secure the next title in place of former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
â(Lewis is) the guy who deserves a shot at the heavyweight championship,â White said at the UFC 262 post-fight press conference, according to MMA Fighting. “Yes, we will end this fight.”
White revealed a potential opponent for the winner of the upcoming title fight on Friday. He said it would make sense to give former champion Stipe Miocic – who lost the belt to Ngannou in March – a title shot.
âJon Jones made it very clear that he had no interest in fighting Stipe.â¦ What you do is fight with Derrick Lewis and Francis and then Stipe takes the winner,â White said. at “The Jake Asman Show”.
The UFC boss previously envisioned a No.1 contender fight between Jones and Miocic with Ngannou targeted to defend his belt against Lewis. But Jones ruled out that possibility.
Jones was originally expected to face the winner from Miocic-Ngannou, but over the past two months White has frequently questioned Jones’ desire to fight at the heavyweight. However, Jones appears to be on the move, and the former 205-pound champion has said he wants a better deal to fight Ngannou.
White’s position is clear, however: he has no problem moving forward without the king pound for pound.
“It depends on Jon Jones whether or not he wants to fight,” White said on Saturday. “There (are) fights available, they’re here. I’m going to keep doing fights every weekend, doing fights. If Jon Jones wants to fight, he can. If he doesn’t. , he doesn’t have to. No one will force Jon Jones to fight. “
White added, “He can fight this summer or he can never fight again. It depends on him.”